Wylie's Cape Cod vacation home damaged in fire
Estimated $40,000 worth of damage sustained to 89-year-old house
|Neither Paul Wylie, seen here performing with Dorothy Hamill at An Evening with Champions, nor any of his family was in the home at the time of the fire. (Sarah S. Brannen)|
Police responded to a burglar alarm being set off at Wylie's Hyannisport home around 1:45 a.m. on Friday morning. When they arrived at the scene, they smelled smoke and called firefighters.
Upon entering the home, crews traced the cause of the blaze to the basement, where they found a fire burning in a dehumidifier unit. They extinguished the fire in about an hour.
The house, which is valued at $1.8 million, sustained an estimated $40,000 worth of damage.
A March 11, 2004, article in the Globe describes the home as a "1922 Cape-style home" with "six bedrooms, a bright atrium office, a sunroom, and spacious dining and living rooms, all with water views."
Wylie finished second at the 1992 Olympic Winter Games in Albertville, France. He medaled five times at the U.S. championships and is the 1981 world junior champion.
Last August, the Toronto home of Kurt Browning suffered extensive damage in a fire caused by an unattended leaf blower.